At UK Mail we’re passionate about our people. We believe that learning and development is at the heart of a successful organisation, that’s why we pioneer the best learning and development opportunities in our industry. It helps us to attract and retain the best talent and it seems to be working – our staff turnover levels have been declining year on year for the past five years now.
We believe that learning and development is at the heart of a successful organisation, that’s why we pioneer the best learning and development opportunities in our industry.
Our award-winning Learning and Development team provide training programmes that enable every employee in every warehouse, depot and office across our network to excel and progress in their career.
In 2007 we achieved Investors in People re-accreditation and, as a significant part of this is down to employee feedback, we are justly proud of what this represents.
All employees are subject to an annual and interim Performance Review.
We believe this formal and regular review process is essential in allowing managers and employees to communicate their achievements, aspirations and any potential issues they may have.
All development needs identified as a result of the process are monitored by the Learning and Development division and all employees should complete their own Personal Development Plan.
Performance Reviews at a glance:
- Performance Reviews take place twice yearly
- The purpose of the review is to give employees the opportunity to evaluate their performance over the review period and to plan future objectives
- All managers implementing Performance Reviews are required to attend Performance Review training beforehand
Our success in persistently exceeding customer expectations has been based on recruiting and retaining the best possible staff and encouraging them to develop to their full potential.
Providing comprehensive management courses designed to provide existing or prospective supervisors and team leaders with the necessary skills and competencies to make them the managers of UK Mail tomorrow.
That means providing comprehensive management courses designed to provide existing or prospective supervisors and team leaders with the necessary skills and competencies to make them the managers of UK Mail tomorrow.
Our First Line Management Programme does exactly this through a range of personal development media including internal and external training courses, mentor support and project-based work to support personal growth within the organisation.
First Line Management Programme at a glance:
- The objective of the programme is to develop talent and enable participants to become managers of the future
- During the 12 month programme delegates attend a series of training courses including effective communication, leadership and change, time management and meetings and negotiation skills
- The programme is accredited by the Institute of Leadership & Management (ILM)
- Delegates are required to work on a business related project with its findings then being presented to senior management
- Over 70% of delegates go on to take up management positions within the company
We also provide a diverse range of skill-specific training course for managers that have identified a need for development in the following areas:
- Effective presentation skills
- Effective communication
- Assertiveness skills
- Disciplinary & grievance skills
- Performance management
- Attendance management
All managers undergo intensive health and safety training.
Nationally recognised qualifications
UK Mail invests heavily in providing training and development activities for all of its employees.
UK Mail invests heavily in providing training and development activities for all of its employees
We believe that inclusion is about ensuring everyone has equal access to a development programme that ties in with their personal goals.
National Vocational Qualifications (NVQ) are available to our night- and day-employed Warehouse Operatives and Supervisors, Drivers and Customer Care staff in the following areas:
- Customer Service skills
- Team Leader
- Warehouse Distribution
The qualification is accessible to all our employees with interpreters being enlisted to deal with any communication or language issues that may arise amongst our immigrant workforce.